One of the aims of our proactive screening programme is to assess cardiac function in athletes via the CRY Centre for Inherited Cardiovascular Conditions and Sports Cardiology. The European Society of Cardiology (ESC 2005) and International Olympic Committee (IOC) recommend cardiac screening for any young person taking part in competitive sport. Sport itself does not lead to cardiac arrest, but can trigger a sudden death by aggravating an undetected cardiac abnormality (see also cardiac-related sudden deaths in sport). In countries such as Italy, screening participants in representative sports is mandatory. In some professions cardiac testing is also mandatory.
For more information about cardiac testing in sport, please contact the CRY Screening Programme Manager by calling 01737 363 222 or sending an e-mail to email@example.com CRY’s cardiac screening service is already used by:
- Premier League football clubs & Football League clubs
- Great Britain & Northern Ireland athletes
- England Rugby Union & Premiership Rugby Union clubs
- Great Britain Rugby League & Super League Clubs
- Lawn Tennis Association
- County Cricket Clubs
- ….plus many other top UK sports teams and organisations.