On the 5th of September 2014, I organised ‘A Night for Mark’ in memory of my brother-in-law Mark Britton. The night helped raise awareness of the good work that CRY does, with posters and leaflets available for people to read. The room was packed with over 100 people attending the event.
The night was a huge success, with live music, bingo, a raffle, an auction and finishing up with a disco. Many local people and businesses gave so generously to ensure there were excellent prizes for the raffle and auction. The atmosphere on the night was amazing, but the night was made even more special by people’s sincere goodwill.
Loom bands were made and sold by Ella and Edward Jackson (aged 13 and 10) in the CRY colours; rolls were ordered and purchased by a family friend, Anne Sheehey; and other family members helped on the night by selling bingo tickets and filled rolls. Rhys Lewis from Barclays Bank Brynmawr attended the night and sold raffle tickets. Barclays kindly added £1,000 to the total raised making an incredible total of £3,515! This included money from people who donated online as they were not able to attend the event.
• Wine hamper courtesy of Sainsburys (Pontllanfraith)
• Pol Roger champagne courtesy of Waitrose (Abergavenny)
• El Dorado 15 year old rum courtesy of Aldi (Abergavenny)
• Two padded garden recliners courtesy of B&Q (Ebbw Vale)
• Beautiful hand-made silver pendant and earrings kindly made and donated by Annette Yates Jewelry.
• £20 gift card from Pets at Home (Brynmawr)
• £20 gift card from Wilkinson (Abergavenny)
• 4D baby scan from CRGW
• Wine and vodka donated by Morrisons (Ebbw Vale)
• Full car valet donated by Rhys Gillett
• Aromatherapy massage donated by Jamie Bridgeman
• £250 gift card from IKEA (Cardiff)
• £100 donation from the retired PE staff c/o Margaret Thomas
• £250 donation from Ron Skinner & Sons (Tredegar)
• Biscuits and chocolates from Marks & Spencer (Ebbw Vale)
• Wine donated by The Angel Hotel (Abergavenny)
• A car cleaning kit from Halfords (Brynmawr)
• 2 cakes donated by Clams Cakes of Ebbw Vale
Mark’s mother is now busy organising an afternoon tea to be held on 30th November. With more local events planned, including a ‘bistro night’ early next year, the family are keen to raise awareness and money for a screening event in their area.