What is CRY’s SADS website?

CRY has a wide range of online resources to provide support and information about young sudden cardiac death and cardiac conditions. This includes SADS.org.uk, our website of information for the families of a young person who has died of Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS). SADS is also sometimes referred to as sudden adult death syndrome.

If you have lost a young relative who has died suddenly and unexpectedly, you may wonder what happened or if you should undergo any tests to find out if you have the same medical condition. The purpose of SADS.org.uk is to outline all the information that you may need, starting with the possible causes of sudden death in young people and conditions that can cause SADS. There is also a section of the website dedicated to how the heart functions, detailing the structure of the heart and its electrical activity.

From there, we have information regarding what tests family members may need to have if they have lost a young relative to SADS, as well as lifestyle advice for those who may now be living with a diagnosed cardiac condition. This includes advice such as exercise recommendations and types of medication you may need to avoid.

Also, in addition to more medical information, we want to highlight the importance of bereavement support. The death of a child or young adult can be completely unexpected and have a devastating impact within a family. If you would like to speak to us about receiving bereavement support or need any further advice regarding expert pathology or family testing, you can always contact CRY by calling 01737 363222 or emailing cry@c-r-y.org.uk.

The website also includes an online version of our booklet, “When a young person dies suddenly” by Dr Elijah Behr. This covers everything from different causes of SADS and how the heart works, to what happens after an unexpected death in young person and what tests can be completed for relatives. You can go straight to the online version of this booklet by clicking here, or contact us by phone or email to request a printed copy.